Cloud File Servers?
Skeeve Stevens
2013-08-12 06:52:46 UTC
Hey all,

About a year ago I asked if anyone knew of any 'Cloud File Server' products
out there.

I got a few responses, but nothing really eventuated from that.

What I am NOT looking for is Cloud Backup. Not Dropbox, Drive, Copy, Box,
SugarSync, etc which all just replicate a directory on someones computer
and then shares it.

I AM looking for something that can act as a Cloud File Server where the
SOURCE is in the Cloud (preferably with an .au option).

I found this one:
http://www.egnyte.com/online-storage/online-storage-features.html as an
example.

I want:

- Windows, Mac, iOS and Android clients
- Users/Permissions like the old school windows share concept
- Ability to Cache/No Cache, etc specific directories, so there was some
speed for common files
- An expiry where if an employee is terminated/leaves, the files disappear
after a certain time (Nice to have)
- External access would be nice (customers, contractors, etc)
- Alternate backup options
- Billing by the user per month is preferable
- Outsourced - I don't want to run anything

Does anyone know if this kind of thing exists here in Australia?

...Skeeve

***@eintellegonetworks.com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com

facebook.com/eintellegonetworks ; <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud
Michael Dale
2013-08-12 12:37:18 UTC
Hi Skeeve,

Not exactly what you want but we like the Synology boxes and DS File/Cloud:
http://www.synology.com/dsm/business_mobile_supports_ds_file.php?lang=enu

Saying this you do need to run it yourself, probably not multi-tenant/company either.

Thanks,
Michael.

Direct: +61 2 9043 5780
Mobile: +61 422 770 473
Web site: www.dalegroup.net
Support Portal: support.dalegroup.net
CodeCanyon Support Portal: portal.dalegroup.net

Mark ZZZ Smith
2013-08-12 13:01:35 UTC
I'd think you'd get many more informed answers on SAGE-AU mailing list. File storage is a large part of those peoples' business.

Tom Paseka
2013-08-12 18:43:05 UTC
Google Drive?

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM, Skeeve Stevens <

Luke Notley
2013-08-13 03:35:09 UTC
Gladinet but this requires either a client on the users machine or a server deployed on premise.
EMC's Syncplicity but this is more like a sync'ing application.

We developed our own solution using a specific WebDAV client and a WebDAV server backend integrated with our provisioning portal as we didn't find much at the time.

Cheers
Luke
________________________________
[...]

***@eintellegonetworks.com<mailto:***@eintellegonetworks.com> ; www.eintellegonetworks.com<http://www.eintellegonetworks.com/>

Phone: 1300 239 038; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383<tel:%2B61%20%280%29414%20753%20383> ; skype://skeeve

facebook.com/eintellegonetworks<http://facebook.com/eintellegonetworks> ; <http://twitter.com/networkceoau> linkedin.com/in/skeeve<http://linkedin.com/in/skeeve>

twitter.com/networkceoau<http://twitter.com/networkceoau> ; blog: www.network-ceo.net<http://www.network-ceo.net/>

"Perth based hosting solution provider - get in the cloud with Red Ember Solutions - http://www.redember.com.au"

This message and its attachments are confidential to our organisation and subject to legal privilege. If you have received them in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete this message. This email is subject to copyright, no part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without prior written consent of the copyright owner. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual and may not necessarily reflect the view of the company.
Karl Hardisty
2013-08-13 03:41:11 UTC
OwnCloud is an open-source (or commercial) option. It's still not feature-comparable with the likes of Dropbox and Syncplicity, but they're pushing out updates quickly. We've built a solution for a large agency here who use it, and about to do so for another.

Syncplicity is good (we use it for a couple of clients) but beware the sometimes not-quite-accurate syncing when first setting up.

k.

lE ***@mothership.co.nz lW mothership.co.nz lA PO Box 99814, Newmarket lM 021 999 990 lP 974 3171