Cisco 3750-X vs 3850
P. D. Castle
2014-05-22 04:55:50 UTC
Hi All,

We have an environment with a large quantity of 3750-Xs (several PoE and
non-PoE variants) is use as access switches. For a separate server access
segement I've now had quotes for 3850s. The literature looks attractive,
not that we need the extra 10GE capacity or wlan controller yet but I'm
wondering if it is worthwhile starting down the 3850 path.

Has anyone had some experience with these in production as yet and any
shortfalls/issues I should be aware of? Strictly ip-base at present.

Cheers,
Peter
Skeeve Stevens
2014-05-22 05:24:40 UTC
I think if you don't use wireless in the deployment context, then these are
just 3750X's.

...Skeeve

***@eintellegonetworks.com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com

facebook.com/eintellegonetworks ; <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering

Brad Peczka
2014-05-22 05:31:51 UTC
A 3850 is hardly just a 3750X, Skeeve.

The stacking architecture on the 3850-series switches has been radically overhauled when compared to the 3750X. It has vastly superior stack bandwidth (480Gbps compared to 64Gbps) and features SSO across the stack - so if you cable it correctly and a switch dies, another one takes over and the stack keeps running without a drop.

3850s have bigger flash, more queues per port, QoS using MQC and not MLS, and support NetFlow!

IMHO - if you're buying new switches, there is no case where you would buy a 3750X over a 3850 unless you're trying to expand an existing stack.

Regards,
-Brad.
I think if you don't use wireless in the deployment context, then these are just 3750X's.

...Skeeve

Skeeve Stevens - eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
***@eintellegonetworks.com<mailto:***@eintellegonetworks.com> ; www.eintellegonetworks.com<http://www.eintellegonetworks.com/>

facebook.com/eintellegonetworks<http://facebook.com/eintellegonetworks> ; <http://twitter.com/networkceoau> linkedin.com/in/skeeve<http://linkedin.com/in/skeeve>

twitter.com/theispguy<http://twitter.com/theispguy> ; blog: www.theispguy.com<http://www.theispguy.com/>

[http://eintellegonetworks.com/logos/ein09.png]

Peter
Damian Guppy
2014-05-22 06:03:35 UTC
+1 to brads comments. We have moved over to the 3850's long ago. Not
sure why Skeeve brought up wireless as the 3750x also had a line that
did the wireless stuff (just not as well).

Of note is the 3850 is based on ciscos new IOS XE platform and is not
really an updated version of the 3750 but a whole new switching
platform.

--Damian

Sent from my Windows PhoneFrom: Brad Peczka

Peter
P. D. Castle
2014-05-22 06:42:38 UTC
Thanks all for your responses.

That makes me a lot more comfortable moving forward with 3850s

Cheers,
Peter
Matt Walker
2014-05-22 06:44:49 UTC
+2 to Brad

We only buy 3750X if we are growing an old stack that hasn't reached it's upgrade date

Otherwise 3850's are an amazing choice

If/when you go down WLC Path you can have a 5508 control the 3850 etc in a mesh controller architecture

Cheers
Matt

Lindsay Hill
2014-05-22 06:51:45 UTC
If you haven't already seen it, there was a good session on the 3850 at
this week's Cisco Live

3850 and 3650 Switching Architecture:
https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=78471&backBtn=true

(didn't attend in person, just read through the presentation)

I still can't figure out what the point of the new 3850 SFP model is
though. How many people are deploying new fibre aggregation switches, but
only at 1G? I must be missing something.

John Edwards
2014-05-22 10:12:03 UTC
24 port SFP switches are ideal where your application needs hundreds of
circuits, and you'd prefer not to burn trunk cables bringing them all back
to a central location.

24 SFP ports AND a built in wireless lan controller is a dog whistle to a
specific market segment, possibly a hint of a product to come.

John

Paul Gear
2014-05-22 09:21:19 UTC
On 05/22/2014 04:44 PM, Matt Walker wrote:
> +2 to Brad
>
> We only buy 3750X if we are growing an old stack that hasn't reached it's upgrade date
>
> Otherwise 3850's are an amazing choice
>
> If/when you go down WLC Path you can have a 5508 control the 3850 etc in a mesh controller architecture
>
> Cheers
> Matt

Just out of curiosity, what sort of street prices are we talking about
on the 3850 series? I know the answer is "it depends", but what's the
general ballpark, say for government or educational buyers?

Anyone got a good feel for what the Brocade, HP, and Juniper competitive
models are?

Thanks,
Paul
Beeson, Ayden
2014-05-22 13:03:47 UTC
i think off the top of my head we get them for around $7k or so for the 48 port UPOE model with IPbase, the 2x10gb / 4x1gb card is approx $1000 as well whereas the 4x1gb is like 200 or so.

Dont quote me, figures are not in front of me and are definitely off the top of my head...

On 05/22/2014 04:44 PM, Matt Walker wrote:
> +2 to Brad
>
> We only buy 3750X if we are growing an old stack that hasn't reached it's upgrade date
>
> Otherwise 3850's are an amazing choice
>
> If/when you go down WLC Path you can have a 5508 control the 3850 etc in a mesh controller architecture
>
> Cheers
> Matt

Just out of curiosity, what sort of street prices are we talking about
on the 3850 series? I know the answer is "it depends", but what's the
general ballpark, say for government or educational buyers?

Anyone got a good feel for what the Brocade, HP, and Juniper competitive
models are?

Thanks,
Paul

Charles Sturt University

| ALBURY-WODONGA | BATHURST | CANBERRA | DUBBO | GOULBURN | MELBOURNE | ONTARIO | ORANGE | PORT MACQUARIE | SYDNEY | WAGGA WAGGA |

LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University (CSU) does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with CSU may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at CSU. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of CSU.

Charles Sturt University in Australia http://www.csu.edu.au The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Numbers: 00005F (NSW), 01947G (VIC), 02960B (ACT)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018

Charles Sturt University in Ontario http://www.charlessturt.ca 860 Harrington Court, Burlington Ontario Canada L7N 3N4 Registration: www.peqab.ca

Consider the environment before printing this email.

Disclaimer added by CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2007
http://www.codetwo.com
Skeeve Stevens
2014-05-22 09:46:00 UTC
All,

I'm not saying they are bad... their rrp is identical and the 3850's are
cheaper at the moment, assuming because Cisco is pushing them. Though
given there is very little stock at the moment until June sometime on main
models.

To clarify... I've used these and for day-to-day gig layer 3 switching,
they are basically the same as the 3750X's. If you want the extra features
they have, great... then of course it is better for you.

Yes, the new stacking is nice... but I don't think I ever had an issue on
the 3750X's, and rarely on a 3750's.

The non-backward compatible stacking with the 3750's is annoying... they
could have facilitated that.

Re iOS-XE... love it... especially the linux shell... feels like the copied
some of Junos's features... which is cool.

If you are greenfields deployment... go the 3850's... They just don't
register any major differences for basic layer 3 switching.

Beeson, Ayden
2014-05-22 07:14:40 UTC
We are in the same position now, all new switches we buy are 3850s

Just fyi, the documentation says that the 3850 only stacks 4 at a time but that has been fixed in new versions, stack power I believe is still limited to 4 that obviously that is less critical.

Another plus, they are slightly less deep than the 3750x as well which can be handy to know...

Cheers,
Ayden

[cid:csu-logo46b.bmp]<http://www.csu.edu.au/>

Charles Sturt University in Australia<http://www.csu.edu.au> The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Number: 00005F (National)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018
Charles Sturt University in Ontario<http://www.charlessturt.ca/> 860 Harrington Court, Burlington Ontario Canada L7N 3N4 Registration: www.peqab.ca<http://www.peqab.ca>

www.codetwo.com<http://www.codetwo.com>

Brad McGinn
2014-05-23 05:25:25 UTC
I seem to remember we had issues with 3850’s as they didn’t have l2tunnel protocol commands, so not q-in-q.. can’t remember the code version though so it may be just that.

That was the only drawback I’m afraid but it was enough for us to take them out of our standards for the time being.